Welcome to Cultivative’s weekly roundup for all things PPC from around the web—everything you need to know right now about PPC!
At Cultivative, we’re all about making your life easier. We’ve gathered the top PPC news and innovations from around the web and getting it into your hands. Check out what we found this past week.
What is Contextual Targeting [And How Does It Work in a Post-Privacy World?]
By Tara Johnson | May 12, 2022 | Tinuiti
“Contextual targeting is the process of placing ads on a website based on the on-page content. This helps ensure that the ad content is relevant and timely to the needs of the consumer while at the same time protecting their privacy rights,” writes Tara Johnson. Advertisers can work with three levels of contextual targeting: category contextual targeting, keyword contextual targeting, and semantic targeting. To help brands reach out to consumers effectively and get their messages in front of potential buyers while still staying compliant with the new rules, Johnson covers:
- What is Contextual Targeting?
- How does Contextual Targeting work?
- Why is Contextual Targeting more valuable than ever before?
- What role does Reddit play in Contextual Targeting?
Meta Lists 6 Culture Codes For Advertisers
By Brooke Osmundson | May 13, 2022 | Search Engine Journal
Brands can benefit and stay relatable to users by adapting to the current culture codes identified by Facebook parent company Meta. Data suggests that lo-fi content is a major contributor to ad recall and content views for brands. Six culture codes Meta has shared that brands can benefit from include:
- Real People Telling Real Stories
- Using Language Of The Platform
- Establishing Relationships With Creators and Influencers For Credibility
- Taking Users Behind The Scenes
- Using Lo-Fi Editing Techniques
- Using Humor To Break Down Boundaries
Top 5 native advertising creative ideas
By Mallory Harwood | May 16, 2022 | Microsoft Advertising Blog
“The best native advertising, when done well, should blend so seamlessly within its environment that viewers won’t even notice it’s advertising. The success of your campaigns largely depends on the creativity of your images and how well they allow you to engage audiences without being disruptive,” writes Mallory Harwood. Creating advertising that doesn’t feel overt and promotional goes a long way toward increasing engagement. Consumers are more likely to respond to and interact with native advertising if it follows these best practices:
- Use lifestyle images
- Avoid image clutter
- Target your title
- Front-load titles
- Run multiple assets
5 Essential Questions to Ask in Every PPC Audit
By Navah Hopkins | May 17, 2022 | WordStream
“Audits are never a one-and-done process,” explains Navah Hopkins. She recommends that you constantly be asking these questions of your account:
- Does your account structure support your business goals?
- Do you trust your conversion tracking?
- How well does your creative match your target persona?
- Are you falling into accidental waste?
- Should you be scaling or optimizing?
You’re Doing Landing Page Testing Wrong: These Are the 5 Rules to Do It Right
By Johnathan Dane | May 17, 2022 | Unbounce
“Most marketers think there is no true winning formula for increasing conversion rates, lowering cost per conversion, and increasing conversion quality all at the same time,” writes Johnathan Dane. To achieve these results, Dane offers five new rules of landing page testing, including:
- Traffic conversion intent must follow call-to-action (CTA) intent.
- Focus aggressively on the offer itself.
- Use the Breadcrumb Technique on your forms.
- Don’t stop at the “Thank You” page.
- Go all-in on Smart Traffic.
Ad Strength for Responsive Search Ads: What Is It & Why You Shouldn’t Worry About It
By Frederick Vallaeys | May 17, 2022 | Optmyzr
With Responsive Search Ads (RSAs) replacing Expanded Text Ads, advertisers are now increasingly exposed to a new type of score called Ad Strength. Ad Strength provides you with feedback to help you focus on providing the right messages to your customers and shows how well an ad creative follows the best practices for optimal performance. Vallaeys discusses Responsive Search Ads ad strength, how much it matters, and how it compares to the other optimization scores that have been around longer.
2022 Search Advertising Benchmarks for Every Industry (New Data!)
By Kristen McCormick | May 18, 2022 | WordStream
WordStream by LOCALiQ has come to be known for its digital advertising benchmarks reports. In this report, you’ll find 2022 search advertising benchmark data across four important performance metrics and for over 20 different industries, along with key takeaways and tips to improve your performance. Kristen McCormick covers:
- 2022 search advertising benchmarks, all metrics
- Average cost per click for search ads
- Average cost per lead for search ads
- Average click-through rate for search ads
- Average conversion rate for search ads
- Overall costs for search ads
- Key takeaways
- Mobile-friendly view
We hope you learned something new you can apply to your PPC business strategy. Let us know in the comments below what you want to start implementing. As always, we are happy to be a resource for your paid advertising needs. If you have any questions, feel free to contact us.
Get your weekly dose of PPC industry news delivered right to your inbox! Subscribe to our newsletter HERE.