Welcome to Cultivative’s weekly roundup for all things PPC from around the web—everything you need to know right now about PPC!
At Cultivative, we’re all about making your life easier. We’ve gathered the top PPC news and innovations from around the web and getting it into your hands. Check out what we found this past week.
7 Cost-Effective Ad Types for Small Businesses
By Brad Smith | Jul 30, 2019
Small businesses face a challenge with advertising when they’re competing with bigger brands. How do they carve out a bit of advertising space for themselves while on a shoe-string budget? Brad Smith recommends these ad types for small businesses:
1. Google Search Ads
2. Facebook Ads
3. Amazon Sponsored Products
4. LinkedIn Sponsored InMail
5. Google Maps PPC Ads
6. Google Display or Banner Ads
7. Google Shopping Ads
Five ways to target ads on Google that don’t involve keywords
By Jacqueline Dooley | Jul 30, 20199
If you want to expand your PPC beyond keyword targeting, Jacqueline Dooley has five tactics you can test from within your Google Ads account:
- Display ads: advertisers can experiment with ad formats, different targeting criteria, and creative while reaching a large audience.
- Video ads: YouTube supports interest targeting, affinity audiences, life events, remarketing audiences, placements/channels, topics, keywords, and devices.
- Shopping ads: rely on merchant product feeds rather than keywords for targeting.
- App promotion: use text assets from an app’s Google Play store listing, although some text is required to set up the ad.
- Remarketing: enables advertisers to show specific products or services in ads based on what users viewed on their website.
Simplifying Campaign Creation and Management
By Facebook Business | Jul 30, 2019
Facebook Business shares updates to several of its campaign creation & management tools. They have made improvements to Business Manager, simpler feed ad formats, and refined targeting options. Over the next few months, updates to Business Manager will make it easier to use with new navigation, improved asset organization, and permission management. In August, they will be simplifying feed formats by updating Page posts and ads on mobile to match the look and feel of the new Facebook design. They will also begin removing some options that are outdated or infrequently used by businesses like several options related to older song titles, albums or games.
How to Set Up Microsoft Ads Experiments
By Kristin Palmer | Jul 31, 2019
Microsoft Ads recently announced their new experiments feature on their platform. Kristin Palmer provides a great guide to getting started. She shows you how to set up and monitor your experiments using the new feature. She also provides a few cautions you may want to keep an eye out for to get the best results.
Save time with campaign-level associations
By Nan Li | Jul 31, 2019
Microsoft Advertising is rolling out campaign-level associations capability to save you time and apply your audience targeting more quickly. Campaign-level associations will now help you to apply and manage audience associations at the campaign level, so you no longer need to apply the audience targeting to each of the ad groups and then change each individual bid boost. Nan Li also includes audience targeting association and exclusion rules you should apply in this article.
Google extends same-meaning close variants to phrase match, broad match modifiers
By Ginny Marvin | Jul 31, 2019
Ginny Marvin explains the impact for Google Ads extending the same-meaning close variants to phrase match and broad match modifiers. Google has made this change in response to query evolution and machine learning being able to fill in the gaps. Broad match modifier keywords can match to queries in any word order, including same meaning queries. Word order in phrase match will be respected, but will now trigger with meaning queries as well.
What Consumers Think of Loyalty & Reward Programs, Part 2
By Gina Fleck | Jul 31, 2019
Gina Fleck follows up Merkle’s Loyalty Barometer Report to explore what drives consumer motivation and preferences for loyalty marketing. Brands need to be careful about how they ask for data and make the purchase process as simple as possible. They found that 61% of consumers like to be surprised with an offer or gift so that they feel recognized and rewarded. Consumers also prefer the convenience of mobile technology to interact with a brand.
10 Tips to Win at Local PPC
By Navah Hopkins | Aug 1, 2019
There are right and wrong ways to leverage a local PPC campaign’s budget. Navah Hopkins offers her top 10 tips to getting the most out of your local PPC, including:
1. Claim Your Local Listings
2. Set Campaigns Up by Location vs. Service
3. Include Local Insider Knowledge in Creative
4. Location Targeting by Profit Center
5. Localize Landing Pages
6. Include Search Partners
7. Audit Capacity by Location for New Business
8. Pick Your Competitors Carefully
9. Create Social Moments by Inviting Your Community to Share Your Space
10. Budget for Your Bottom Line
Effective Amazon PPC Management: How to get the most of a limited budget
By Francis Ejiofor | Aug 2, 2019
Francis Ejiofor shares his blueprints to optimizing your Amazon PPC campaigns that are on a tight budget. He recommends:
1. Focusing on searchers’ intent and relevance
2. Optimizing your ad text or continually test and tweak your ad copy
3. Add negative keywords to prevent spending money on irrelevant keywords
We hope you learned something new you can apply to your PPC business strategy. Let us know in the comments below what you want to start implementing. As always, we are happy to be a resource for your paid advertising needs. If you have any questions, feel free to contact us.